Tuesday 11 September 2012

Rest in peace, Felix


This Monday my oldest cat Felix passed away. He was around 16-17 years old.

When I was 5-6 years old we got a cat from neighbors. We named her Discovery. She was a very lively young cat and became friends with an older cat from the neighborhood (we also think Felix might have been the father of Discovery). He was the cat from our neighbors and was named Felix. The daughter of our neighbors was a little spoiled and stopped giving attention to Felix as soon as he grew older. That's why Felix visited our house. He was a very shy and frightened cat but my brother was patient and got to know Felix. Slowly Felix started to come nearer to our house and started eating at our house. In the beginning only my brother could get near him, eventually even pat him. Later on he became used to the rest of my family.

After a few years we moved to another town. Felix basically lived with us already by then and we asked his owners if we could take him with us. They agreed.
I've never been really close to Felix. I used to bully my cats (I was young!) and became friends later on with Discovery. My brother was the one being really close to Felix. They had a very special bound. Felix would catch mice and drop them at my brother's bed (which freaked him out). When someone else slept in my brother's bed, Felix left a nice poo on the bed. Felix would purr when my brother pat him, while he almost never did that with me. When my brother would be gone for a few days, Felix would wander through the house meowing and searching him. When my brother studied, Felix lay on his desk or sofa to keep him company and when my brother walked into the garden, to a sunny spot, Felix would follow him and lay with him.
I took care of Felix, like I did of Discovery, but I would sleep with Discovery, cuddle with Discovery and play with Discovery. In any case, Felix was still my, our, cat.

A while ago he started acting weird. He wouldn't listen to his name anymore, would wander in the house and we'd find him on the strangest spots (like in the garage aside the motorbikes or at the top of the stairs). He'd jump on the table when we'd be having dinner while he knew he really couldn't do that. He started to eat less, eventually not eat at all anymore. He didn't drink anymore, or barely. Then... He started to get weak, his legs would slip away under him when he was standing somewhere... Eh... He just... It was sad to see him like that... We knew he was dying...

And so he did, last Monday... My brother messaged me at morning. My father found him. Later that day, dad's girlfriend and my brother buried him.

Rest in peace Felix. You were a great cat. We'll miss you.



Photobucket